Copyrights @ Journal 2014 - Designed By Templateism - SEO Plugin by MyBloggerLab

Friday, December 8, 2017

We Go to School, But You Do Not Teach About Our Freedom!

Share
     I can remember being in the 3rd grade at St. Cyril's school in 1973 and sitting there after I had been called a "N-----!" I had never heard that word before. It was a boy in class who had trouble staying out of trouble. No one could hurt my feelings at school. I was one of the smartest children in class. Maybe that was the reason for the name calling.

   
Robin R. Foster (3rd or 4th grade, St. Cyril's)
 When I got home I asked my parents what is a "N-----?" They said it was what some white people called African Americans. This was my introduction to racism. That young boy did not like me because I was smart and well mannered, and he saw me as a threat. I'll never forget how I dealt with that boy and protected my character without telling anyone at school.

I began to go to the Joliet Public Library every Saturday because they had different books than my school. I read about the life of W. E. B. DuBois and Frederick Douglass as my first books. I took these books everywhere I went even school. From grade school through the university days there was never any mention of the books I read.

My daughter was homeschooled most of her school days. By the time she went to school, she was prepared in gospel teaching and history. I looked at my granddaughter and thought, "What more can I do?" I know I can continue our family history. She can learn a great deal from our forebearers.   

Last week, I also discovered the rest of the story...

Recruiting African American Soldiers During the Civil War

The National Archives is one place these records can be found. If the stories of our true history were told in school, grade school, high school, and universities, how would those children turn out? It could mean the end of racism as we know it today for everyone would know African Americans were prepared long before the Civil War to fight for freedom. I will share history that I find before 1776 through the present.

To the African Americans who are coming to my blog for the first time, document you history, and tell it. There are people of every color, but some are bad. You have to know your history so you will not succumb to the person they expect you to be. You need to be the best example that you can find in your family.

Thinking back again to my experience at St. Cyril's, I remember his face. I remember his hair. I remember his character. I am grateful to him because I have found true history because of him.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Now Study Your Last Name with Genealogies on FamilySearch.org

Search The Guild of One-Name Studies on FamilySearch.org I received the press release included below about collections of The Guild of...

GeneaBloggers